Contact Info

WW2 Timelime

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Institutionalized Education... NOT for me or my students.




I really enjoyed Miss Bayda's opinionalized view on our current form of education and schooling; I feel she and Dan Brown could not be more correct. Until this current EDM class, and also my EDF class, I have been comofortable with my "schooling". I have always felt like I was not learning anything at my University, but as long as I was earning my A's and B's, I was okay with it. Thanks to a few teachers, and my wonderful PLN, I am now sickened by my university, as well as many others. I am tired of memorizing facts, and recalling them when it is test time.

Enjoy Dan Brown's Video on Institutionalized Education

I think the most valuable point that Mr. Brown made was that, as student we do not use our hundred dollar textbooks, because the facts and information are readily available online. This generation is one of media; we are done with textbooks! While learning online, you get animated objects, tutorials, how-to's, and visual images. It satisfies every style of learning whether it be linguistic, visual, audio, interpersonal, intrapersonal, and whatever else there is. I feel that it is up to us future teachers to take what we know about education and embed it into our elementary schools all the way up to 12th grade. WE have to make the difference and influence our students. They are the generation of change, and we are the ones to help them make that change. I do not feel that anytime soon education will change, but there is no doubt in my mind that my students will see it, and I want them to look back and say, "My kindergarten teacher started this."

0 comments: