Contact Info

WW2 Timelime

Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Networked Student

This video was C-U-T-E! It was so simple, but it got the point across, which I really appreciate. Technology in education is such a hot topic, and a lot of videos and speeches are so boring and over the top that it completely loses the audience and its meaning. It was nice to watch something so simple. This video laid out the basic principles of the point it wanted to make, and it worked. It put it in a real world sense of view; it definitely kept me entertained AND informed.

I am completely prepared to introduce networked learning in my classroom. ( Although, I am hoping that their previous teachers would have introduced it). It is vital that our students understand that there is a big world beyond books, and they can connect to any part of it that they wish. They should research and hear the views of people from all over the world, not just from me. For example, if we are studying biology, then I will do my best to set up a Skype session with a biology professor. For whatever we are studying, I will encourage and lead my students in the right direction to find out more and various information on the topic.

One of my favorite parts of the video was about the purpose of the teacher. It has never crossed my mind, but with all the hype about online learning and technology in our classrooms, it brings up a valid point of why we even need a teacher. This video did a fantastic job of reinforcing the quality of teachers. First of all, there has to be someone there to encourage our students and introduce new ideas. Some of our students from low income schools do not even have access to a computer outside of school. These students need to be encouraged to be a part of this big world through social networking. Also, these kids need someone to explain the difference between valid and invalid research, and how to differentiate between the two. The teacher is ultimately the backbone of the adventure, and must be there to show her kids the way.

0 comments: