Contact Info

WW2 Timelime

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Ms. Davis gets an A+ in Digital Smarts.

Vicki Davis' class reminds me of our new and different EDM 310 course at South Alabama. It is a breath of fresh air to find a teacher whose goal is not to feed students materials to be memorized. I am sure it would be simple to teach a computing class and simply explain to the students different programs and how they are useful. Although this would be helpful for sure, Ms. Davis is letting her students explore programs on their own, teach their fellow classmates, and even enlighten the teacher on how to use a new software program.

This form of education is pretty powerful. Not only are these students learning tools that will help them in the future, but they are gaining confidence as an individual, they are learning to be a part of a positive learning community, and they are making friends from a completely different culture! I would have to say this goes deeper than any everyday computer lesson. Watching this video makes me excited to be a part of this revised 310 course. I know I am going to learn so many useful teaching strategies for my classroom, but I am also going to become aware of how important it is for my students to explore new technology and to be creative and open minded about the endless possibilities.

0 comments: